Sunday, January 10, 2010

One Year On




Well, not exactly 1 year, but close enough.
This is really an excuse to say that I've made it back onto the ski slopes.
We went to Winter Park in Colorado as it was the best place to get back to the slopes.
My thanks go to Jacques at Le Feet Lab who made the custom boots (for some reason my old boots didn't fit any more!). He really is a star when it comes to such things and I couldn't have done it without him.
I also had a couple of sessions with guys from the NSCD (National Sports Centre for the Disabled) to check me out and give me some tips about how to adapt. Thanks Beth for your support. This organisation seems to be pretty unique and to see some of the Winter Paralympic athletes training rather put my situation into perspective. If anyone reading this needs, and has the opportunity, to visit the NSCD I'm sure it would be life changing.
I only had one significant fall (a graceful somersault into a snowdrift when I hit a rock) and an embarrassing topple over when I was standing still! I found my fitness levels obviously depleted but managed to ski 11 days out of 12, only taking that 1 day off having twisted my knee and wanting to spare myself for the last day.
The company was great, the food gargantuan in portion size and I lost weight?
I shall refrain from commenting on the travel except to complement the bus driver who drove us back from Heathrow to Manchester in a blizzard.
The moral, as always, is never diminish your ambitions. If you want it, go and get it!


6 Comments:

Blogger patrick said...

Fantastic Martin. Makes me think about getting back on skis myself .....

4:26 pm  
Blogger tomheyes said...

Great to see such wonderful pictures after such a traumatic journey back to rude health. Nice one Martin. Good to see you fully enjoying life.

Here's a photo you may recognise from my archives.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/medium/32721081.jpg

11:55 am  
Blogger tomheyes said...

I'm not sure my archive picture worked...so I'll try again. I've just submitted it to Google Earth so it may appear on there. You'll need to zoom in then pan.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/small/32721081.jpg

Great to see you on skis and discharged from hospital. I trust Maggie is thorouhly enjoying retirement!
Jen and my best wishes to you both.

1:33 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a truly great blog, invaluable for me since a skiing accident in Finland at Xmas, can you tell me in which Sheffield hospital you were treated and who your consultant was as I'm looking for a second opinion as my treatment in doncaster Royal is leaving a lot to be desired? Glad to hear what a happy ending your story is having, Math

9:10 am  
Blogger Martin Harbour said...

Tom,
Thanks for the comments. The photo is great and we're on Google Streets too now. Maggie certainly is enjoying retirement

8:39 pm  
Blogger Martin Harbour said...

Matthew, I was treated at the Northern General by Mr Dennison. They have a great team at the NGH - can't comment on any other hospitals but they do get referrals from all over. I met patients from Norfolk and Devon whilst waiting in clinic! Best of luck.

8:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home