Friday, May 26, 2006

Cleaner & Taller





I'm now almost finished with the stretching and have got rid of any "lifts" from my shoes so that I can tell when the legs feel the right length. Last night was dressing change night so took the opportunity for some pictures. You can see how, as the ring gets pushed down by the screw threads the wires have to find a way through the leg. At this particular site you can see the flesh pushed up in front of the wires just waiting for the skin to part so the wires can move through. Also the scars left by the passage of the wires. This effect is known as cheese-wiring and is responsible for some of the pain of stretching. I'm told it also leaves some very fetching scars when the frame comes off. Those will enhance the beauty of the incision scar from the osteotomy when they had to go looking for the leaking blood vessel. The stitches are now gone but the scar remains as you can see.

The real highlight of last night was my first shower. No longer will visitors need to carry a pomander and handkerchief. At last I feel stable enough to stand in the shower without falling over. I practised this first by doing some grass strimming in the front garden. All in all I'm feeling less of a passenger now despite still needing both crutches to walk with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home